1. Share your story - send us a 300 - 500 word story. Have you experienced age discrimination? How? When? What did you do? If you are still employed, how do you keep in mental shape? How do you keep current? Send us a photo too and we'll begin publishing these stories to inspire others.
2. Spread the word! Tell people about YourGreyMatters.
3. Be on the lookout for age discrimination and don't put up with it!
4. Donate now, thank you!
Hire a Public Relations agency to bring age discrimination front and center. Send out frequent press releases and work with companies in the marketing, advertising and creative industries to increase awareness of the problem
Maintain our blog highlighting both, discriminatory and inclusive events and occasions for 55+
Find sponsors and friendly organization to further extend our reach and increase awareness of age discrimination
Create the "Grey Index" to measure age inclusion in marketing, advertising and other creative organization
Work with advertising and marketing trade organization to participate in conferences and trade shows to spread the word that age discrimination is illegal, immoral and really bad business
Create an email program including a newsletter about age discrimination and our progress in the fight
Create databases of resources, companies and people who can help you in your fight against age discrimination:
► HR personnel, recruiters and executive recruiters specializing in placing people who are 55+
► Best companies to work for
► Specialized attorneys
► Federal and local laws regarding age discrimination
► Resume advice for those over 55
► Advice on what to do if you have been the victim of age discrimination
► Other actions you can take
Work with ad agency, studio heads and other leaders in creative industries to establish their policies regarding age discrimination, hiring 55+ and how they take steps in their companies to avoid age discrimination including the interviewing process
Begin compiling age-inclusion ratios in ad agencies, marketing companies and other creative organizations
Track age inclusion hiring in leading creative companies and create a list of "Best Companies for 55+"
A key aspect in the advertising and marketing industries will be to work with trade publications to create "Over 55" lists and work with them to obtain sponsors for those lists
You are not 55 yet... why should you should care
Well… whether you are male, female, Hispanic, White, Black, Asian, Vulcan, Klingon or anything in between, you are going to get old some day and age discrimination will catch up to you. Wouldn't you like to get older in a world where aging is not a bad thing?
And, as everyone knows, age discrimination is the hardest of all discriminations to prove, in spite of it being in a protected category
Here's how you can help:
1. Watch out for your own biases. Ever thought "nah, she's too old, she'll never get it"? That's a bias. Look beyond it. Make the extra effort.
2. If you see a friend, boss or colleague engage in age discrimination step in and help. First, you will be doing that person a favor but, also, you'll be doing "future you" an even bigger favor.
3. Contribute a bit.